Dandelion Wine

As well as being beneficial to our health, Dandelion makes a delicious summery wine.
There are many recipes about, so do experiment to see which you prefer.
I have just make up a batch and it should be ready to drink around Christmas time.
I tool a whole lawn full of flowers and took the petals from each flower.

I left them to soak in hot boiled water for a couple of days.
Dandelion Petals Soaking
Then placed them back in the pot to bring to the boil with the zest of two oranges, a lemon and 3lbs of sugar.

Once it had cooled enough to move easily I  removed the petals and poured the liquid into a fermenting bucket.
 


It doesn't smell or look appealing at this stage, so don't worry!
Once all the petals were out I added 1 lb of raisins, yeast and gave it a stir.


I sliced the orange and lemons I had used earlier and scattered them over the top of the liquid.
Put the lid on firmly and add the airlock and leave it bubbling away.
Fermenting
Now it just needs to finish bubbling. 
Leave it until the bubbles stop and it is ready for racking. This was my first batch, it has now been bottled and should be ready to drink around Christmas!


Comments